Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Critique of Galen's "New Landscape" Photographs

For the “new landscape” photograph assignment, Galen has done a good job producing six prints for the assignment. The idea of the “new landscape” theme is projected clearly within his prints. All of the six prints express the feeling of a modern altered traditional landscape. Some of the prints are stronger than the others in the subject of “new” landscape.
Viewing these six photographs as one whole project, they are very cohesive and deliver a certain message that is understood within the entire six. I think Galen has done a good job with keeping the photographs in a certain range of content that is smoothly sequenced with one another. Meaning, the content within the photographs, match well with one another, and is easily viewable and comprehended as one message, and or, project. I think that is important when delivering an assignment such as this one. Good job with that!
In class, we collectively always express to Galen that his photographs are recognizable due to his geometric style and leading lines that show within his work, I believe this series also carries that style. It is great to see that your specific style also shines through within your artwork. I enjoy how almost each of the photographs have different compositional value. One will contain the road off to the side, power lines off to the side, and power line trees off to the side. This is good framework. Again, like mentioned above, I really believe that the content that you have chosen to capture in these photographs really deliver the message of a changed world on new land. The color range within the photos are also very similar to each other photo, also contributing to the series.
My personal favorites are, the one with the train showing and also the one with the power lines directly in the center of the photograph. I believe I react to these two photographs due to the compositional framework. The reason being, I think that in these two photographs, Galen has captured everything the viewer wants and “needs” to see. I’m not searching for something else to find or look for. Some of the photographs are cropped too short or too small where I find myself wanting to see more sky or more ground. The photograph with the factory and the mountain behind it is good shot, but here is an instance where I would wish to more sky. I feel the mountain is almost cut off. This doesn’t necessary give me the feeling of a “landscape.” But then again, a landscape can be anything, these are just my personal criticisms on this specific photograph.
Overall, Galen has done a great job finding areas and capturing the details of portraying a newly designed landscape. I would like to see these pictures printed larger! I believe that they are intimate because they are smaller, but there is so much detail that I would like to have them visibly larger, also this may give the landscape vibe a boost.
Be careful when cropping and framing and continue with your great leading lines and geometric finds. Good job! Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment