Sunday, October 23, 2011

The Adventures of a Photographer by Italo Calvino

The Adventures of a Photographer reminds me in sense to always do (and shoot) what you love. In the story, Antonio shows us this by finding Bice as his subject. He searches for the perfect shot from her and then he falls in love with her not as a person, but her as the subject of his photography and photographs. This is something that I feel can be directly important when working on project. I know that Antonio may have been a little obsessed with his work, but sometimes artists become that way. It isn’t unhealthy, but at the same time, it just happens. We must continue to follow our hearts through the lens, but we can not let it take over our lives and important relationships like Antonio and Bice. I could relate to Antonio in a way. I almost wish that I can devote my entire life to photography and just that. But, realistically at this time, I can’t.

And, on that note, I need to experience love and life that will inspire me to photograph, not to just photograph my love and life now. I can do just that, but then, I will run out of subject and inspiration really fast.

It’s a cycle. But without new experiences, you may be shooting the same roll of film over and over. And over.

No comments:

Post a Comment