Monday, October 17, 2011

Final Project Proposal

I am very fond of nostalgic ideas and concepts. Within the last few years, every since I’ve moved to State College for the University, I have been further away from my comfortable and familiar surroundings. I can see the regional difference and change through my photography. Lately, I have been photographing strange and unfamiliar objects and settings in my local area. I want to capture and explore what I feel is close to me here in State College. For my final project, I’d like to capture what I have become familiar with in this town that I’ve lived in for 3 years now. I want to photograph what has become a part of my life here.
I want to explore this concept here in State College because every visit that I make “home” to New Jersey, every single thing reminds me of something and I feel whole. Even something simple such as making right turn at a traffic light, a pizzeria, a railroad track, and bump on the street, remind me that I am home. Every piece of the area is a part of me. I feel comfortable and linked to the area. I want to find my mark here in State College. I want to research where I belong here and what makes me a part of this town.
I began to feel this way when I returned back from Turkey. When I got off the plane into New York, I felt like I was home. Then when we drove to my parent’s house, which is also my house too, I surely felt like I arrived home. After leaving NJ to return back to school here in PA, I realized that I began to feel like I was also “home” again. I want to figure out why and what landmarks make me feel this way. I want to document and photograph my established life here in State College though the lens. It seems like it would be a fun journey and I feel I have a lot to learn about myself. I believe my camera will help me decide how and why I am a part of this town now.

No comments:

Post a Comment